Stroll over from the White Pine Festival at the Abba Ball Diamond on McNab Street to celebrate Arnprior’s natural and human heritage on the Macnamara Trail. We’re running guided nature tours and activities for children on the trail and staffing tables at the festival itself.
The tours will highlight the natural history and the human history along the trail such as the remains of the kiln used by the McLachlin Lumber Company to char marble to make slaked lime. Visitors will also learn about our trail extension project and our new osprey tower.
White Pine Festival Family-Oriented Activities
Enjoy nature-themed activities at the Macnamara Trailhead on August 27 and 28, running all day from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m
- Get up close with Matt Ellerbeck, the Salamander Man, between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m., Saturday only
- Take a guided nature tour on Saturday (11 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.) or Sunday (12 p.m. and 2 p.m.)
- Have fun with Children’s Activities:
- Colour Me! (Chipmunk, turtle, Chickadee, Showy Lady’s-slipper)
- Selfie photo op – I am a friend of the Macnamara Trail.
- I’m as tall as … a Great Blue Heron? Measure your height against three real-size representations.
- Match game – Pick the bird, plant and tree symbols for Ontario.
- What am I? Flip the photos (all from the trail) and give them a name e.g. what bird? Answers are on the next page.
- Feed the Chickadees – Get a bag of seed to feed birds on the trail.
- Try the Macnamara Trail Nature Quiz for Kids of All Ages – Quiz numbers will have a matching number on the trail. Visit the trail and look for numbered signs with nature information. Answers are on the back.
- Meet knowledgeable field naturalists who can tell you about rocks, mushrooms, animals, ferns, and so much more!