Leaders: Jeff and Angela Skevington
Meet: In the parking lot of the Metro store on Daniel Street in Arnprior at 8:00. Park close to the street, away from the store. We will arrange carpooling from there. Sign the participation form.
- The group will reconvene around 9:00 at the Irving Gas Station near the corner of Paul Martin Drive (Hwy 41) and Hwy 17 at Pembroke (just N of intersection). Maximum 15 minute stop for restrooms. We will leave at 9:15 at the latest in a convoy. If you live west of Arnprior and want to meet here, that is fine. Please indicate this when you register.
- We will drive about 15km NW to Doran Road (first Petawawa intersection). Turn left (there is sometimes a sign for Achray here). Then immediately turn right on Barron Canyon Road/Sand Lake Road. Follow this to the park gate. If you do not have a park pass, please stop and pay admission at the gate. Those with a pass, please continue past the gate.
- I will recollect the convoy at Squirrel Rapids. This is the first bridge over a river after passing the park gate (not very far). We will have a quick look around here and then move on once the group is together again. We will stop and bird at a few spots along the road including the area around the McManus Lake turnoff.
- We will stop for a hike at the Barron Canyon Trail. Please do not go on the trail ahead of the leaders as you may disturb tracks or wildlife before the group arrives. Bring your lunch on the trail, as we will eat along the canyon edge. Snowshoes may be useful here but are not likely critical. Everything beyond this point will be done on the spur of the moment. We may continue further up towards Lake Travers depending on the time and road conditions. Again, snowshoes may prove to be useful if you have them.
- We will be heading out of the park by sundown (5:30pm at the latest). Bring enough to munch on until 6:30pm. Some of the group may choose to stop for dinner on the way home (location will be decided later but will either be the Irving Gas Station or the family restaurant in Cobden).
If we get to the Sand Lake Road and it is impassible before the canyon, I will collect the group and move to plan B. This is always a possibility in the winter. However, I do not anticipate a problem as there is logging happening this winter beyond our destination and the road will be open for the trucks. Plan B may involve some snowshoeing from the road or a wholesale change of plans.
This event is very kid-friendly so bring them along!
Register at firstname.lastname@example.org