Extending Arnprior’s Natural Heritage
Named after local naturalist Charles Macnamara, the 4.5 km Macnamara Nature Trail is located on 280 acres owned by Nylene Canada in the Nopiming Game Sanctuary by the Ottawa River. Accessed from McNab Street, it’s part of Arnprior’s Millennium Trail System and operated by the Macnamara Field Naturalists’ Club.
We’re Building an Extension to the Trail
We’re adding a 1.5 km loop and a lookout across Goodwin Marsh. We’re completing Phase 1 in 2017 and Phase 2 in 2018.
- – The extension will offer access to the wetland for wildlife observation.
- – We’re building an observation deck near the middle of the marsh and an osprey nesting tower.
- – It will connect the current trail on the south side of the wetland to the mixed forest on the north side by McLean Avenue.
What will the trail extension look like? Read Imagining a Walk Along the Future Macnamara Trail Extension.
Want to know more about the project? We have more information at Macnamara Trail Extension Project Description.
Woods, Water and Well-Being
Walking in nature is healthy for the body, mind, and spirit. Many use the trail for physical activity: walking, snowshoeing, skiing, running. Seniors enjoy the gently rolling paths for a peaceful stroll among the trees and wildflowers. Schools conduct projects and field trips to the forest and wetland.
Preserving a Part of Arnprior’s Heritage
McLachlin Lumber employee Charles Macnamara successfully lobbied the provincial government in 1920 to create the Crown Game Reserve on which the trail lies. The McLachlin Lumber Company’s old lime kiln, built in the mid- to late 1800’s, is located by the trail. It was used to char local marble or limestone to make slaked lime.
It’s a Community Project: You Can Help
- – Donate to the Macnamara Trail Project Fund. The Club is a registered charity.
- – Post your trail experiences on our Facebook group: Friends of the Macnamara Trail.
- – Join us! Become a club member. Sign up on our Membership page.
- – Want to add a commemorative bench to the trail? Contact us.
The Club gratefully acknowledges the support of the following companies for generously contributing to the success of this project.